Monday 6 July 2015

Cheese-y Cream-y Leeks...thank me later.

OHMYDAYS.

I cooked Christmas one year for my friend and invited a load of her peeps along, who happen to be American. Dyou know what puzzled them? Leeks. And Parsnips. Mainly the Parsnips. But everyone inhaled my Leeks.

Now these are a little more carby for a Low Carb Diet, but still plenty fine. I think for 100g there is around 14g Carb and 1.8g Fiber. However, I am more than happy to make this my yummy higher carb dish of the weekend, as its bloody AMAZING.

Its got cream, sour cream, butter, a boat load of cheese, season all, and whatever the hell else I feel like adding to it at the time. Of course, a good Chefs pinch or two of Salt and Pepper is required to make them even yummier, but please, let me enlighten you below to the majesty that are these Leeks.


WHAT YOULL NEED

Leeks, obvs. Duh. However many you like,. but increase your other quantities as needed. I made this lot with Trois Little Leekies and it made about a Chinese Take Away Tub Full, if thats of help. Maybe 2 1/2 Cups worth, shall we say.

Lets start that again.

Leeks, x 3. I use the bottoms and not the tops (pics to come)
Small Tub of Sour Cream
Good Glug of Double Cream
Hearty amount of Butter to cook the leeks down in
Mozzarella, a handful pre grated. Half of a Fresh round
Mexican 4 Cheese, a good handful
Philadelphia Cream Cheese, about 2 dessert spoons
Garlic
Salty Salt/Seasoned Salt
Pepper 
Paprika
Cayenne - or whatever seasoning you want, its up to you babycakes
Parmesan if you fancy it
Olive Oil if you want it

Yummy!


Now let me clear this up ingredient wise a little. I am English and live in the UK. However, most of our groceries come from a US Commissary, which is why, dear Britons, you may get confuddled about what the chuff I use from time to time. Do note however, that you just need to sub in our fine old English stuff and itll all be just as tasty.

WHAT YOURE GONNA DO NOW

Ok so now its choppy choppy time.

All Bottoms, less Tops
Get Chopping your leeks until you have only the rough tops left. You can save the tops for other things if you like. 


Mmmm Butter
Add however much butter you would like to cook the leeks down in. I guess I used about 100g here, as I wanted the higher fat content. I also drizzled it with some Olive Oil, because FAT FOR THE WIN.

Cook them down for about 10 mins or so on a medium to high heat, until they are starting to soften but still have some crunch. I like to continue to cook them down in the cream mix so that when theyre done, they arent a pile of mush.

I then add the whole small pot of Sour Cream, and the Philly Cheese, as well as the start of the salt and pepper. Do bare in mind that this is all to taste, so if you want to do whatever you want, DO IT. Itll taste amazing for you. But for sure season this good. You need the salt as its a heck load of dairy.

Now stir this all up and now add your seasoning and spices if you like. I find that the spices add to the flavour of the the overall dish as they accent the cheese. 

Now add your other cheese to the pot, if its the ones from the ingredient list or others. I usually put any Parmesan in at the end as I use just a sprinkling, but again, personal preference.

Mix it all up and add a glug of cream if you feel it needs loosening, or a little boiling water to get your desired consistency. Now, I know this is a fatty dish. It should be, its Keto adapted. However, if you want it a little less slick, just add less cheese and reduce your butter and maybe braise the leeks in just olive oil or use a spray type like Fry Light or something. 

Keep tasting all the way through to make sure that your seasoning is right for you. Mine ended up like this:



I served myself about half a cup full once I was done as I had been tasting all the way through, and the leeks are now super soft but still firm enough to hold their shape, which is what I like, instead of being over cooked and going into weird soupyness.

I stuck the rest in a tub that I will snack on for the next couple of days. These taste good cold, but I prefer to blast mine in the microwave as I like the texture more!

I think it works that 100g is half a cup, so I would say I was right in thinking that there are about 2 1/2 cups in this recipe. I would eat half a cup per serving, as this is a super filling dish, so it should be roughly 8g net carbs, and 0.9g of fibre, so 7.1g per half cup. But its totally worth it.

ENJOY LEEK LOVERS!



















No comments:

Post a Comment